Aren’t we all tired of being boxed and punched into, “the African writer must write poverty porn to be successful” casket? It is time…no actually; it is way past time for us to write about those little geeks and five legged mathematicians in our head. It is time to write stories that rely more on our imagination than on the circumstances around us and the problems that we are forced to face. Get your word processor and write a story that will identify you as a writer and not an African writer.
Lesleigh Inc will be running a series of short story contests starting this June.
The June contest runs in conjunction with UP Magazine and will be on the Sci-fi/ fantasy theme. All creative writers are invited to participate.
The Innis and the Outis a.k.a The Rules
- The story must be original enough to make us bow in awe at the mind of the writer.
- Word count: Exactly 3687 words. Nothing more, nothing less.
- Font type: Book Antiqua
- Font size: 12
- Spacing: 1.5
The Innis and Outis that you cannot afford to ignore because they will lead to the automatic disqualification of your story.
- The word count mentioned above.
- Please edit your work before submitting it.
- Send your story to firstname.lastname@example.org in the following format:
- Subject: Innis and Outis Short Story Contest
- A cover letter on the main body of the email that has a 100 word writer bio and a 250 word synopsis of the story.
- Your story in a Microsoft Word 97-2003 attachment.
- Deadline for submission: 6th July 2012
The top three stories get the following literary relevant prizes.
- Free ticket to a Lesleigh Inc Creative Writing Workshop in July
- An opportunity to become a resident contributor of fiction to the Lesleigh Inc literary magazine Bullet Pen.
- UP Magazine will print the first 750 words of the winning story then have the story appear in full on their website.
Get to writing. Remember, All you need is a muse!